I am writing to update you on some work we have been doing with our waste contractor Serco to update and rebalance the bin collection rounds.
It is important to look at the way we work and to see if we can make improvements to ensure the service is running efficiently, reducing the distances our vehicles are travelling, sharing the workload across the crews and accommodating new homes in the district.
Following a period of strenuous data testing, Serco and our joint waste client team have been adjusting bin collection rounds that will achieve all of the above.
The revised routes mean that less than 10% of the district’s households will see a change to their collection day or week. Those residents remaining on the same collection day may see a change to their collection time therefore it is important bins are put out by 6.30am.
Our garden waste customers will also see a change to their collections. Over 50% of customers will have a change to their week and/or day.
As you will be well aware communication is crucial when implementing changes to bin collections and I am asking for your support. Where possible, please print off and display the attached poster and share our official social media posts you may see over the next few weeks.
The new collection timetable will start from Monday 22 July and addressed leaflets will be sent to affected households from the end of June advising residents of the changes. From Monday 1 July information will be available on our website, through our social media channels, local media and parish link.
Timeline of Communication
- From today – information announcing the changes will be available on our website including FAQs at www.hart.gov.uk/bin-changes. Promotion on the changes will begin through local media and parish magazines.
- Monday 24 June – Social media messaging will start.
- Monday 1 July – Addressed leaflets or letters will begin arriving at all households over a two-week period advising residents of the changes. These will provide information on collection days and a timetable specific to them.
- Monday 1 July – You and your residents can ‘look up’ new collection dates on our website at www.hart.gov.uk/bin-changes
- Monday 22 July – the new collection timetable will start and residents need to put their bins out on their new collection date from the week commencing Monday 22 July. Additional bagged, black bin waste will be accepted on the first collection only. Additional recycling is always collected as long as it is placed in a cardboard box next to the bin or in a clear plastic bin bag.